Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pesto Chicken Pasta

Every once in a while I actually impress myself and this dish did just that.  Since we are moving this weekend I am trying to use all the food that I have and buy as little as possible.  Last week I had bought some basil  to make the Thai basil  stir fry and never did so I thought I would make a pesto to use the basil  and the last of my pasta in the freezer. That turned out to be a really good decision because this turned out really well.

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 oz asparagus, chopped to bite sized pieces
3 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp cavenders Greek seasoning
5 oz spaghetti
3 tbs pesto
2 tbs sun dried tomatoes
1 tbs parmesan cheese
1 tbs pine nuts


Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and asparagus and cook until the mushrooms are browned.  Slice the chicken into strips and season with the Greek  seasoning then add to the vegetables and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.  Stir in the cheese, nuts, tomatoes, and pesto.

Cook the pasta to al dente and serve with the chicken.

Serves 3, 500 calories, 24 g fat

I felt like a pretty good wife making this meal, especially on a week day.  Homemade pasta that I pulled out of the freezer, homemade pesto that took less than 10 minutes and awesome homemade rolls that took so little time it is very tempting not to make these every day.  I know home life is crazier when you have kids so I do have some extra time but I don't get home until 5-5:30 every day and rarely have trouble getting dinner on the table by 7:30, so just stop being intimidated and make a nice meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment