Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012

No-Rise Bread



I have discovered the absolute most dangerous recipe ever.  I absolutely love bread, so I have to limit myself because it is just so calorie dense.  Since I found this recipe a few weeks ago I will admit I have made it quite a few times.  It is just so easy to make and you can cut it back to make just a few rolls so you don’t actually have to have a ton of bread lying around the house all week.  That is a big reason why I usually don’t buy bread.  I usually just want one piece of bread to go with one meal for the week, but when I have to buy a whole loaf I end up eating a piece of bread every night until it’s gone.  But with this recipe you can really easily scale it back so you don’t have that problem.  I have cut it down to 4 rolls but I haven’t tried 2 yet so I cannot verify if they will still turn out the same for that small of a batch, I don't really think it would work but I could be wrong, let me know if you try it.

2 ½ cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
6 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs yeast
2 Tbs oil
6 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Stir together water, sugar, yeast, and oil.  Allow to sit for about 5 minutes or until it is frothy on the top  Add flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.  Once you stir in the dry ingredients and they are pretty well incorporated, turn it out onto a clean work surface and start to knead.  Knead the dough, it should still be a little sticky but well mixed.  This can be made into rolls, a bread loaf, or even a pizza crust, so roll out or drop onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. 
Serves 16, 210 calories, 2 g fat

I have cut this in half for 8 rolls and by 4 for 4 rolls and both turned out fine.  This bread is super simple, very fluffy and has a nice yeasty flavor.  How can you beat homemade bread that you can have mixed and baked in under 30 minutes?

No comments:

Post a Comment