Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Banana Nut Bread French Toast


I saw this idea on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives the other day and thought it was the most brilliant thing I had ever seen, so of course I made it as soon as I had a chance.  In the restaurant he made banana bread French toast bananas foster as a dessert, and that does sound pretty outstanding, but the idea of banana bread French toast really excited me.  I am embarrassed I hadn’t thought of it before myself.

2 slices Banana Nut Bread
2 eggs
¼ cup milk
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbs butter, divided

Slice bread and place in refrigerator overnight to firm it up and dry it out some.  This will help keep it from crumbling when you soak it in the milk/egg mixture.
Beat eggs, milk and cinnamon in a bowl and soak the bread on both sides.  Melt 1 tbs butter in a skillet over medium heat and add the bread, one slice at a time.  Once the egg has cooked and browned some, flip the bread over and cook the other side.  Remove to a plate and repeat with the rest of the butter and other piece of bread.  Dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup, or just eat without either, you can’t really go wrong.

The amount of calories in this is of course going to be determined by how large of a slice of banana bread you use.  If you do large slices (1/8 of a loaf) this will be about 550 calories and 32 g fat.  This is rather high in fat for a breakfast but it’s ok to allow yourself to indulge every so often, just don’t make it a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment