Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cayenne Rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa

Lately I’ve been watching Martha Stewart’s cooking school on tv when I’m super bored and there’s nothing else on.  Most of her recipes that I’ve tried have just been ok but they always sound so good and she makes cooking look so easy.  So I found another one of her recipes this week that I thought looked really good and wanted to try.  I won’t say I was disappointed because it was good, and it was actually better the next day, but it just wasn’t quite as good as I was hoping, which seems to be the norm with her recipes I’ve tried.
 
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
~2 tbs olive oil
¾ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 small avocado
½ red onion
Juice from ½ of a lime
Salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 425 F.
Drizzle about 1 tbs olive oil over the chicken breasts, getting oil on both sides.  In a small bowl mix the seasonings then rub onto both sides of each piece of chicken.

Heat 1-2 turns of olive oil in a large oven safe skillet to medium high heat, you want to just coat the bottom of the skillet so that you aren’t frying the chicken but you also aren’t blackening the seasoning.  Once the skillet is hot, arrange the chicken in the skillet and cook on each side for about 10 minutes.  Put the skillet in the oven and cook for 3-5 minutes to finish cooking the chicken.  If not, the inside might still be raw and if you cook the chicken in the skillet for too much longer you may end up blackening the outside.

Dice the red onion and season with salt and lime juice.  Just before serving stir in diced avocado.  Season the salsa to taste with salt and lime and serve over the chicken breasts.



This was really pretty easy and though I didn’t think it had a ton of flavor, or heat, I still enjoyed it and will probably make it again but it won’t be on my go-to list.

No comments:

Post a Comment