Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Upside Down Pear Cake


I am now about to start week 5 of my 7-day meal planning and I think we are doing pretty well sticking to it.  We have deviated a couple times, but not many.  J has already lost a couple pounds, and I am back to my pre-Christmas/Thanksgiving weight, but that’s about it.  I will say that my plan every day is 1500-1700 calories for me and most days I am actually not hungry in between meals and I’m satisfied after eating the food we’re eating, so that right there means a lot for me.  I am also not starving my husband, which this is actually a first time we have done some kind of structured “diet” and he has not felt hungry all the time.   So having a well made plan seems to be working well for us.

But last night we did make a rather significant unaccounted for addition to our calorie intake for the day, but as this turned out so well I think it was kind of worth it.   I worked a little harder on the elliptical this morning and probably made up for about ¼ of what I consumed last night.

For the topping
3 tbs butter
¾ cup brown sugar
Fruit of your choice – I used 2 pears cut in chunky slices with a handful of blackberries – You could do pears, apricots, apples, plums plus any berry you like to fill in the wholes

For the cake
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup milk
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat melt the 3 tbs butter.  Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar is melted and begins to bubble.  Remove from heat and let cool.
Once cool, arrange the fruit in a pinwheel design, add berries if desired.

To make the cake, beat  ½ cup butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time.  Beat until smooth.  Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together then add half to the egg mixture and stir to incorporate.  Add the milk, stir to incorporate, then finish with the remaining flour mixture.  Stir the batter just until the flour is incorporated, do not overmix the batter.

Spread the batter over the fruit and bake for 45-60 mins.  The cake is ready when it begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and the center feels just set.

Let cool for 20 minutes then place a cake plate on top and flip the cake out of the skillet.  Be careful because it will still be hot, especially the caramel.

I of course didn’t bother with that nonsense because I wanted to eat it as soon as the caramel was no longer scalding and I didn’t care enough to get the whole cake out of the skillet for anyone to see it whole.  Sorry no pretty picture of the whole cake, it was too tempting, couldn’t wait the 20 mins.

Serves 8, 405 calories, 17 g fat, worth it, especially since I haven’t had much sweets in the past month

No comments:

Post a Comment