Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Beer Cheese


This weekend we fell way off the wagon.  We went out to eat a couple more times than I had planned and one night I saw the most amazing recipe ever and just skipped dinner entirely to pig out on yes, beer cheese and pretzels.  Honestly, can you blame me? I didn’t think so, but I still feel guilty.

½ lb sharp cheddar cheese, I used a Welsh Cheddar which was very flavorful
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
½ cup Hefeweizen beer
Homemade Pretzels

I have a small food processer with only one blade so I had to improvise a little on this.  If you have a large food processer with a shredder attachment, grate the cheese then replace the shredder attachment with the blade. Add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, black pepper and cayenne pepper and pulse to combine.  With the processor running, slowly pour in the beer and blend until a smooth mixture forms.

I wasn’t able to do any of that with my food processor.  I chopped the cheese into ½” pieces and threw ~half of everything in all at once and mixed until a smooth paste formed.  I scooped it all out and did the same with the other half.  Now you have 2 pastes that are a lot less volume than the chopped cheese so I put both mixtures back in the food processor to mix and then seasoned to taste.

I divided this between 2 ramekins, covered them with cling wrap and let chill in the refrigerator.  The longer it sits the more flavors develop, but I only made it about an hour, just long enough for me to make a batch of pretzels.

Yields 1 ¼ cups, actually quite a lot

We ate this as our dinner with pretzels one night then as appetizer with crackers another night and still haven’t quite finished it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment