Search This Blog

Monday, August 6, 2012

Snickerdoodles


I wasn’t really planning on making a desert tonight since I decided to forego my cannoli plan, but after dinner J wanted something and if I have eggs then I usually don’t mind baking, so I did.  He had yet another interesting request today.  Sometimes he really shocks me in what foods come to his mind.  Chocolate is always on my brain so I suggested brownies but he vetoed that and suggested “those cinnamon cookies”.   Being a Yankee I don’t think he had ever had snickerdoodles until I made them for him and I’ve only made them for him a couple of times, so I thought it was odd that he thought of them.

¼ cup butter, softened
¼ cup shortening
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup and 1 tbs flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 tbs sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cream together the butter, shortening, ¾ cup sugar, egg and vanilla until fluffy and the butter and shortening are not clumpy.  Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and ¼ tsp cinnamon.  Roll 1” balls of dough in the sugar and cinnamon mixture and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake 8-10 minutes or until set but not hard, the tops should look cracked from where they spread.  Remove immediately from the pan and allow to cool on a rack.
24 cookies, 95 calories, 4 g fat each
I was able to make this batter and was just starting to load my cookie sheet when the oven had finished preheating, so I have a real hard time understanding why people use mixes.  Making things from scratch always taste better and don’t always take more effort or time, so no excuses.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Rachel I accidentally deleted your comment :-(
    I am surprised you grew up with these I know a lot of people from outside of Texas who didn't know what they were, good for your mom.

    ReplyDelete