Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

Spicy Chicken Chili

We hosted a super bowl party this weekend and I of course planned and fretted over my menu for a whole week. After scouring through super bowl menus and pinterest pins for far more time than I am ok with admitting, I decided on a few snacks and a couple entrees.  I took this as an opportunity to make a few things that I had been craving but I also made some traditional super bowl foods.  One of which was a chili.  I wanted to try something different than my standard ground turkey/bean chili recipe that is good and easy but really kind of boring.  I decided to go with a spicy chicken chili and found a number of recipes that initially seemed interesting but after further review decided to keep looking and found what is going to be the only chili that I make from now. I adjusted the original recipe a little bit to use some of the ingredients that I had on hand that needed to be used and still can’t believe how good this turned out.

When I made this I didn't measure any of the spices so I will put the recommended volumes but don’t hesitate, which you never should, to taste and season to your liking because I can’t actually vouch for these volumes but the general base I thought was really good.

1 large package of boneless chicken thighs ~ 3.5 lbs, sliced into bite-sized chunks
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chili powder
2 tbs ground cumin
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 roasted red peppers, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
1 can rotel
3 cups chicken broth
2 cans large butter beans

In a large pot heat the oil to medium high heat and add the chicken, stirring often.  Once the meet is browned add the onion and garlic, cook for another 5 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients except for the beans. 
Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.  Adjust the lid so the pot is partially covered and continue simmering for about another 30 minutes to boil off some of the excess liquid so the chili is more thick and less of a stew.  Add the beans and simmer for about another 30 minutes.

Before the party J and I bet on which of the dishes were going to be cleaned out by the end of the night and this was not one of the ones I bet on but turned out to be the favorite and is definitely going to be my go-to chili recipe from now on.




No comments:

Post a Comment