Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings


This meal makes me feel like a kid again, sitting at my grandmother’s kitchen table.  I will admit that this attempt doesn’t compare to hers, but still turned out decent.  I think today I under-seasoned it.  I didn’t taste the broth before adding the dumplings, my mistake.  
I had this for lunch the next day and I think it was a lot better after sitting.

2 ½ pounds chicken breasts
7 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1 ½ pound new potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 carrots carrots, cut into ½” pieces
2 ribs celery, cut into ½” pieces
1 small yellow onion, sliced
5 oz peas
Dumplings
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cold
¾ cup milk
¼ cup parsley

Boil the chicken breasts in the water over medium heat until cooked through. Be sure not to overcook them or the meat will be tough. When done, remove the chicken and set aside to rest.  If you slice the chicken while it's hot it will be dry and tough. Add the seasoning and vegetables to the broth and simmer until the vegetables are softened. 
Meanwhile, mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter until it is broken up into fine pieces. Mix in the milk and parsley.
Cube the chicken and add to the broth. Stir and TASTE, this is where I failed. Season the broth again if necessary. Drop heaping tablespoon sized dollops of the dumplings in the stew. Simmer uncovered for ~10 minutes then cover and simmer for another ~10 minutes or until the dumplings are tender and cooked through.

Serves 8, 550 calories, 20 g fat

This is my second big meal of the week, so I won’t have to cook again until next week. These groceries cost me about $45. Lunch and dinner for 2 people for 7 days, that's about $1.61/serving, not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment